Each individual requiring a security clearance must submit a Security Clearance Application in the CTLS with the following information:
- Biographical information: Including name, date of birth, preferred official language, location of birth, birth certificate number and issuing province or territory, and descriptors such as eye and hair colour, weight and height. A valid piece of photo identification issued by the government (Canada or province or territory) or a copy of the passport with the passport number, country, expiry date and photograph must also be provided.
- Criminal charges and convictions: The applicant must obtain a criminal record check and include information about past criminal charges and convictions in the application.
Tip: As part of the criminal record check process, the applicant must provide a “Security Clearance Fingerprint Third Party Consent to Release Personal Information Form.” This must be provided to the local police force the RCMP or a private fingerprinting agency accredited by the RCMP. The form authorizes the RCMP to release the criminal record check and fingerprint verification results to Health Canada. Following fingerprinting a document control number (DCN) is provided on the form which is used as the identifier for the record check. Refer to the Health Canada website for this form.
- Residential addresses: Must be included for the past five years, prior to the time of application.
- Employment, education and unemployment history: Must be included for the past five years, prior to the time of application.
- Marital status: Must include details of current and any previous spouses or common-law partners over the last five years.
- Time spent outside of country of residence: The applicant must provide the dates, destination and purpose of travel for any travel exceeding 90 days in the past five years.
- Signed consent: As part of this application, a consent and certification form must be uploaded with a signature by the individual. Refer to Appendix K: Security Clearance – Consent and Certification Form.
- Submission: The applicant must attest that the information, including supporting documents, in the application is true prior to submission.