Standard Operating Procedures are used to define every operation in great detail. There should be little to no room for error if an employee follows the procedure set out to complete a task at hand. It also serves as a means to standardize how a job is done no matter who is doing it. Following detailed procedures will develop a repeatable process no matter who is executing it. It is the key ingredient to repeatable quality production.
Standard Operating Procedures should include:
- A title descriptive of content
- Document ID #
- Author Information
- Date Created
- Short descriptive overview
- Personnel required to execute the task
- Step by step instructions on how to execute the task
- What could go wrong and how to remediate the situation if it does
- Safety considerations, such as clothing, eye protection, etc.